Nearly 2000 shipped – Best-selling solution for pristine sample preparation
SEM Sample Preparation
The JEOL Ion Beam Cross Section Polisher (CP) is widely used for preparing pristine samples prior to high resolution imaging and elemental analysis with the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). It produces pristine cross sections of samples – hard, soft, or composites – without smearing, crumbling, distorting, or contaminating them in any way.
This new configuration includes high-speed milling, sputter coating, cryo-preparation (down to LN2 temperature) and air-isolated transfer for atmosphere sensitive specimens (for example Li batteries).
Traditional mechanical preparation of specimen surfaces for SEM imaging can introduce various artifacts, such as scratches and embedded polishing media, that obscure the original microstructure, crystallographic information and precise layer thickness measurements. Broad ion beam polishing using the JEOL cross-section polisher (CP) offers pristine surface preparation with minimal artifacts.
The JEOL CP is a tabletop instrument that is ideally suited for preparation of a variety of environment and beam sensitive materials, including metals, polymers, ceramics and composites.
The CP uses an argon beam to mill cross sections or polish virtually any material that is affixed to the continuously rotating sample holder. The high power optical microscope allows the user to position a sample to within a few microns of the precise cross section position. During milling, the sample is rocked automatically to avoid creating beam striations on the cross sectioned surface. Due to the glancing incidence of the ion beam, argon is not implanted into the sample surface.
- Mills large samples with wide area preparation (up to 8 mm wide cross-sections).
- High-speed milling option – choose ion beam accelerating voltage of up to 10kV with up to 1.2 mm/hr milling rate
- Easy to set up and program for high-speed processing and finishing of high-quality cross sections in a short period of time.
- Popular features such as intermittent milling (automated duty cycle for beam sensitive specimens) and fine milling (low voltage fine finish of specimen surfaces, ideally suited for techniques such as EBSD) are included in a standard configuration.
- Newly designed multi-purpose stage to fulfill increasingly diversified market needs and allow multi-functionality by utilizing a variety of specimen holders.
- Surface milling and polishing, cross-section polishing as well as carbon or metal sputter coating are now possible within one instrument, using specialized functional holders.
- Ion beam sputter coating - deposition of thin layers to the specimen surface, in particular, conductive coating for observation of a non-conductive specimen in an SEM.
Cooling Cross Section Polisher with Air Isolation
JEOL offers a Cooling Cross Section Polisher for preparation and polishing of materials that are sensitive to exposure to air or thermal damage, such as solder, metallic lithium, and galvanized steel. The CCP allows long cooling periods while conserving liquid nitrogen. An isolation and transfer system allows processing to be performed without exposure to air.
Cooling CP Advantages
- Nitrogen cooling prevents thermal damage to materials with low melting and low glass transition points
- Air Isolation transfer system protects samples that are sensitive to exposure